Thursday, January 30, 2014

Girl Nursery Plans

We are about four months out from meeting our sweet baby girl, and things are gettin' real around here! We've already purchased/been gifted/snagged for free a glider, dresser, bedding, curtains and some decor for her room. (Albeit, it's all stacked neatly in the corner waiting for a burst of productivity to hit me.) But, until that happens I at least wanted to show you what our vision for the space is. 

One of the things I'm most excited about is the fact that the room is already painted a lovely neutral that I intend on keeping (no painting! woot!). I'm not sure of the exact color, but I'm fairly certain it's close to Sherwin-Williams 'Canvas Tan.' The trim and doors are also painted in a fresh bright white, so really all of our work is going to be on organization and decorating. 

We're going with a shabby chic-ish sort of feel, incorporating (as we always love to do) some vintage finds with some new buys. Neither Nathan or I wanted to overload the room with tons of pink, so we're bringing in some other feminine colors like sage green, blue, cranberry and a soft rose color. 

Here's what we're envisioning so far:



The middle picture is an actual snapshot of the bedding I have already purchased. I got it for a steal off of Craigslist from a sweet lady who said her baby hardly used it. It's an older Pottery Barn kids style that I can't find anywhere online, but I love how non-baby it looks. After a quick whirl in the washer, they were good as new! The whole set included the bumper pads, a quilt, 2 crib sheets, 2 changing pad covers, a decorative pillow and a crib skirt. Score! I really think baby girl will enjoy this for many years to come! 

Other details include: 

  • a white crib (we haven't purchased it yet, but we're planning to go with the Storkcraft Sheffield). I'm not one of those that needs to spend an arm and a leg on a crib, however I do splurge and get a nice comfy mattress for baby - the frame need not be important, but that mattress better sleep good! Amen?
  • framed 11x14 botanical prints to hang above the crib. the ones pictured above are just a similar look to what we've got. 
  • some tissue poms to hang above the glider. I'll DIY these myself. 
  • a vintage dresser turned changing table. we loved the practicality and look of this for William's room, so we're carrying this over for baby girls room too. we have a dark wood dresser that was given to us by Nathan's family that we'll use in her room, and that means William will get to keep his dresser. 
  • Ikea Ribba Picture Ledges turned hanging bookshelves. we have these in William's room, and I wish I would've bought 10 more when I got those. These things are so handy! 
  • Glider and Ottoman - we bought ours off of Craigslist, but this one from Sears is pretty similar. 
  • Curtains - I decided on a blue curtain from Target for the room. It picks up the blue in the bedding and is a nice change from all the pink, green and cranberry we have going on in there. These are also light-blocking which I love for nurseries. 
  • some type of printed Bible Verse - I especially love this Proverbs 31 one. 
  • I couldn't very well decorate a girl nursery without incorporating some personal elements from my own childhood. I plan to display a vintage copy of my childhood favorite book Charlotte's Web, along with an old Cabbage Patch doll of mine (according to my mom it was my very first baby doll). I haven't decided where these things will go yet, but I'm thinking above the changing table would be a nice touch. 
  • I also loved this Cordy Roy Pig for baby girl - I thought this might be a nice "gift" from her big brother to welcome her to our home!
We are so excited to be making plans for this room, but more excited for June to hurry up and get here already. We cannot wait to meet this sweet, wiggly girl!


6 comments:

  1. Oh, how exciting! I love your plans so far. I bet it's fun to get to decorate a girl's room this time around!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see your finished product. I love having a room that she can grow with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw! I love your plan for the nursery! And that's awesome that you guys don't have to paint. :) I think it's cool you're going with less traditional colors, but they are still girly and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is going to be wonderful for a sweet little girl. Love the bedding and all the details, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is absolutely adorable -- just perfect for your little girl. I love the incorporation of some of your childhood favorites too -- very special. Congrats again, friend. I'm excited for your growing family.

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel