Thursday, February 20, 2014

Morning Busyness

In an effort to slow down and notice more, I've been trying to be intentional and document some of the normal bits and pieces of my day as a SAHM. Taking more photos of the everyday-this-is-not-that-glamorous-but-it's-real-life moments that make up memories, laughs, cries, tantrums, play, and learning. 

This was one of those moments...




This is my new favorite picture of William. I know he's in a crazy loud jacket, with pajamas that don't match and his hair is all wind-swept, but can I just talk about how sweet he looks here?!?

Lately, I have been fortunate to eyewitness a very sweet stage he is going through. A tender spirit and heart are starting to really shine through this adventurous, busy, destructive boy. 

I stopped, shocked, at the gym this week when I saw him share his beloved Bear (aka "Bee") with a 6-month-old baby boy. I spied him sharing a train today with a bigger kid at our library's story time - he just selflessly reached out the train as if to say "Here you go. You can play with mine." When he playfully smacks us in the face, and we say "Uh Oh! Don't hit people in the face", he replies with a tender kiss on the cheek. He shares his sippy cups endlessly with random kids we meet at the park, library, grocery story (the germaphobe in me shudders, but my mom heart smiles from end to end). 

Giving "Bee" kisses and playing with his ball in his new favorite toy - a large cardboard box from Daddy's work. It's the simple things ;)

He also loves helping lately - anything from unloading the dishwasher, putting clothes in the dryer, folding clothes, helping Nathan with projects around the house...he wants to be right.by.our.sides doing what we're doing. 



I don't know if it's the pregnancy hormones or the fact that I just get gooey when I see kids being nice at such a young age, but I am delighted and so proud of the little boy he's becoming. 

In our society, it's popular for men to be "marketed" as strong, adventurous, courageous, tough, brave, someone who never cries, lacks empathy, etc. But I'm so happy to see a tender side of William too. He's definitely all boy - loves to make messes, destroy, be loud and play tough (and I love that about him!) but I also pray he'll have a deep heart. One that notices others and what their needs are. One that knows how to say "I'm sorry" and is tough enough to admit when he's wrong. And above all, one that loves Jesus and wants to live like Him. 


William's Great-Grandmother (pictured above - the most wonderful and opinionated woman on planet earth), told me recently that she prays for all of the great grandsons (she is blessed with 6!) every day. She specifically prays that they'll be pastors. At first I laughed when she told me. It's typical of her to tell everyone - even Jesus! - what she thinks someone should do. (grin) But then I realized what a privilege it is to have someone I know and love praying over my son every day. Not only praying for him, but praying specifically that he will be used of God in a big, big way. 

It challenged me to pray more specifically for William. Of course I pray all the time over his health, growth, spirit. But lately I've been praying for that little heart of his. I want it to be so big. I want it to break for something worth breaking for. And love the God who created him. 


And lately, when I witness these small moments of him being so sweet to others (and us), I realize that my prayers are slowly being answered already. I can't wait to see what this boy becomes!

4 comments:

  1. What a sweet boy! There is nothing better than witnessing your child being kind. Nothing better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a precious post - he is really a very sweet and thoughtful boy! (He's probably learning that from you and Nathan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sweet, you should be proud! One of my favorite books is Power of a Praying Parent by Stormie O'Martian. I have 3 girls and I pray these prayers every morning:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too am charmed when little ones are so polite and kind. :) It's just precious. That's so sweet that he has been sharing with other youngsters. Won't it be so cute when he can do that for his very own sister? :)

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel